Dead South Member Accused of Sexual Misconduct Returns to Band
Three women made allegations against cellist/vocalist Danny Kenyon last year
Published Jul 28, 2021The Dead South have reunited with cellist/vocalist Danny Kenyon, following his 2020 departure from the Saskatchewan group after being accused of sexual misconduct by three women.
As CBC News points out, the band announced Kenyon's return in a statement shared via their website. "This past year has been a time of reflection and learning," the statement reads in part.
"What we know for sure is that TDS just isn't TDS without the four of us, so we want to continue this journey with Danny. We look forward to playing shows again, and we look forward to doing this with our original lineup."
Last year, CBC News reported the accounts of three women who first came forward by detailing Kenyon's behaviour on Instagram. The broadcaster spoke with the women who wrote the posts, and independently confirmed their identities and corroborated their stories.
"It feels to me, one of Danny's victims, that the band and record label endorse men who hurt women," the first woman said upon learning of Kenyon's return to the Dead South. "It says that we don't matter. It says that we deserve it. It says that I deserved it."
Upon Kenyon's departure, the Dead South and their label home, Six Shooter Records, responded to the allegations in respective statements. The band wrote that they are "opposed to, and [do] not condone, harmful behaviour of any kind," while Six Shooter wrote of "on-going learning and training opportunities" for label staff, artists, crew and agents.
None of the allegations against Kenyon have been investigated by police or tested in court. Both Kenyon and Six Shooter did not respond to CBC News' requests for comment.
In 2019, the Dead South released Sugar & Joy, which won them the 2020 Juno Award for Traditional Roots Album of the Year.